Penstemon container question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    southpawsouthpaw
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I was given a penstemon in a 6 inch pot. I’d like to transfer it to a decorative pot. If I have a 10inch pot which seems too big. Should I add other plants or an additional penstemon with it? Also can I leave it outdoors in the pot overwinter. I live in Zone 9 Oregon.

Thank you for your help

luis_prluis_pr
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Hello, southpaw. I am not a penstemon grower but I am aware that, being drought tolerant, they usually have a very deep root system. I have seen them in Tacoma (WA) with no special winter protection and Tacoma is z8.

Feel free to temporarily put them in a 10″ pot but change that pot for a deep one as soon as you see roots growing down towards the bottom.

You must live near the coast of Oregon if in z9. You should be ok keeping it potted outside as long as temperatures do not get to the lower 20s. If temperatures were to get to the lower 20s (or less), consider temporarily bringing the pot into the garage or indoors until “less cold” temperatures come back. Put rollers on the pot when it gets heavy so you can quickly and easily move the pot in future years or if an extreme cold weather event surfaces for your area.

southpawsouthpaw
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Luis,

Thank you for your reply. You gave me great advice.

I’ll start with the 10″ and go from there because as of right now it looks like it’s swimming in the pot as it is. I’ll keep an eye on the roots also. Rollers, a great idea I didn’t think of. I’m inland from the coast, and have mild weather, with a brief cold snap in the winter so I’ll move it when needed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)