Weekly Water amount of Portuguese Laurels

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    laurelslaurels
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have Portuguese Laurels in large planters ,

this year we  went from tons of rain to having  temperature in high 30’s  my laurel are loosing leaves, are yellow  and brown in colour & falling off .
    what amount of water is need weekly in these tempatures.

please advise

Brenda.

laurelslaurels
    Greenhorn
    Private message

have Portuguese Laurels in large planters ,

this year we  went from tons of rain to having  temperature in high 30’s  my laurel are loosing leaves, are yellow  and brown in colour & falling off .
    what amount of water is need weekly in these tempatures.

please advise

Brenda.

Reply To: Weekly Water amount of Portuguese Laurels

markvanmarkvan
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Laurel roots can become waterlogged during periods of heavy or prolonged rain, resulting in a fungal disease or root rot. Yellow leaves, leaf wilt, and severe drooping are all signs of this. Avoiding overwatering and standing water by allowing excess water to drain away is one of the greatest strategies to avoid root rot.  If your plant has already been affected by root rot, consider repotting it in a new, disease-free environment. Before replanting, be sure to remove any sick portions of the plant. A fungicide spray may be beneficial in some cases.

To check how much water the plant needs you can get your hand down into the soil around the roots and see if its dry or wet. If it is wet then don’t give them water for some time.

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

That’s right, @laurels @markvan got it right, it seems suspicious that the leaves would turn yellow before turning brown – if it were lack of water, it’s usually first brown at the tips and edges and then falling off directly. Were you able to check whether the soil was too soggy yet ?

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)