I keep sowing corn seeds but they never sprout, it’s like they’re rotting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    blasterandboosterblasterandbooster
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I tried three times to sow corn in my garden. I put lots and lots of mulch because everybody says its super important and then I planted my corn seeds, two to a hole, I got the planting distance right and all and even protected the seeds against birds with a tiny mesh wire fence and then I wait expectantly but nothing ever happens.

So I dug up a few seed holes and in two of them I couldn’t find any seeds at all and in two more I saw the seeds but they were all gray and mushy. What am I doing wrong?

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Oi is it raining a lot in your area? You get that when you actually have too much mulch and wet weather, the whole thing starts composting right in the growing bed. I learned that in that case it’s better to start the seedlings on the side, and once they sprout and reach like 3-4 inches, you can transplant them to the plot. At that age they’re old enough to fend off the compost things.

Loving the season!

lennymarkyLennyMarky
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Where did you get your seeds from? Maybe it’s a bad batch. Did you buy them somewhere?

blasterandboosterblasterandbooster
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Yes we did get a lot of rain. I got the seeds from someone I know, not really a friend, but I guess they also weren’t very good seeds, I guess. They couldn’t even tell me the variety so maybe it was actually one of those hybrid things that wont sprout, can that be? Anyways I’ll buy a fresh batch from a store now and I’ll plant them on the side like you both suggest. Thanks for giving me ideas on why corn isn’t working for me so far.  😥

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)