Can I pull a fallen tree upright again? Typhoon damage caused huge losses…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

I have soooo many trees that were wiped out due to the recent typhoon here in the Phils. I’d really like to save a few of the trees. Does anyone know if I can just pull a tree back upright? Here’s a pic or two to show the ones I’d like to save:

fallen-tree-2fallen-tree-1

Loving the season!

lizzieolizzieo
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Ohhh my goodness ..!! Im so sorry you are having to deal with this devastation.. If you do attempt to right the trees you will likely have to support the trees with cables, or ropes and pegs until the roots re-establish themselves to the ground.. Adding rooting hormone to the soil might help..

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

So far, we’ve just pruned most of the trees that were down, to lower the load on the roots. One or two of them died outright already, I think they lost too many roots between what’s now in the air and the bent, broken ones beneath. Others are already recovering. There are three or four that are going to turn into very nice living benches! Hopefully I can prune and shape them to look interesting.

I haven’t yet tried pulling one up. I simply don’t have the equipment for that here: not even a crank or winch can be found easily. But thanks for your answer!

What rooting hormone do you usually use? I’ve read that aloe vera makes for good rooting hormone, and I have two growing around here that I planted last year. Now they’ve got enough leaves that I feel ok with taking a few to use.

Loving the season!

lizzieolizzieo
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Honey and aloe vera are the best organic alternatives to the chemically derived powders..

To your aloe and honey solution you could add 1 tsp apple cider vinegar per 5 cups of water.. Too much vinegar will do the opposite and actually kill roots but a very small amount will help stimulate root growth..Aloe Very especially is loaded with very good rooting hormones..

I really like your idea of turning one of the trees into  living bench!! Thumbs up!!

Finding the silver lining in the side-ways turns in life, is the key to a contented heart..

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Hard to get real honey here. Not to mention apple cider! But it’s very easy to get my hands on coconut vinegar. Do you think it’s the “apple” that makes it root better, or the “vinegar” part ? I’ll try it out but not on all the trees of course, just in case.

We lost two or three more, roots had also broken underground so they couldn’t bounce back. But all in all now we have 5 trees that make for nice benches around the property! Going to cut the dead ones and those we can’t convert to a bench into planks. These are molave trees, the wood is valuable but the tree is a protected species (typhoon didn’t care about that though).

Loving the season!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)