Exochorda Snow With tree leaves are curling

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    muddybootsmuddyboots
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello, I have 3 Exorchorda Snow White trees that I bought in pots and planted in spring 2021. The soil is sandy so I had them on an irrigation system of 10 minutes a day. They are in shade during the morning and full sun from midday and have flowered well in March/April.  However, the leaves at the top of the trees started curling up so I increased the watering time (as a few weeks ago a small branch completely curled up and the leaves died after only 3 days of not being watered). Despite a week of extra watering time now they are still curling upwards. Should I cut down the watering or add feed or is it some other problem? Many thanks.Exochorda leaf curlExorchorda close-up

mandyssmandyss
    Greenhorn
    Private message

They do look lovely in that set-up! With your description I’m inclined to think it’s also a lack of water combined with too much heat. This year is really hot, are you in the UK? It won’t be any of the other issues, since you just potted them last year, drainage ok if sandy.

Maybe try adding a little fertilizer, too, nitrogen at this point I’d say.

muddybootsmuddyboots
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Many thanks for your advice! Yes we are in the UK and I increased irrigation  from 10 to 30 minutes last week when the leaves started curling, which is a lot of water, but no change. Yesterday I added 5 litres of liquid Miracle Grow containing nitrogen to each tree so that might help. But the leaves at the top are definitely slightly brown (which I thought indicates over-watering?) or perhaps it is a scorch problem as I think you could be right in thing it is just too hot for the trees. If that is the case then there is little I can do sadly.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)