Begonia Carolinafolia after two years has suddenly flopped so I’m wondering?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    fish1234fish1234
    Greenhorn
    Private message

IMG_20220807_190622784_HDR

fish1234fish1234
    Greenhorn
    Private message

What’s wrong? I looked for vine weevil but so far can’t find any so soaked it for a day it’s still got the flop?

emmaoliveremmaoliver
    Greenhorn
    Private message

It seems that you have overwatered the plant, are there any drainage holes in the pot? you might be needing to repot the plant in a terracotta pot.

fish1234fish1234
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Pot was bone dry so I stuck it in water for the day now it’s in a dry bucket slumped as it is

fish1234fish1234
    Greenhorn
    Private message

There was no rot in the plant I could see not in the roots and plant was in a bucket for six hours and looked the same as when I put in the bucket. So I either leave it in its empty bucket to dry out tonight or I repot into new compost without watering it.

fish1234fish1234
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I think the plant was unable to draw up moisture because it had become too compacted ith the now powdery ex compost.

fish1234fish1234
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’m going to wash off all the compost re-pot it in fresh compost and see how we go. But I did think their would be more root on it than I found maybe the root found it too hard to draw up moisture.

jezzaJezza
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I had “the flop” once, as you say it… but I had caused it, dropping the plant and the stem broke. Well, put in water, got new roots, plus the old stump grew new shoots so I won out on that mistake.

In my experience begonia like well-draining soil, I recycle old orchid mix into my potting soil for those. So if you haven’t yet, add something to loosen the soil up a bit! But fresh potting soil will already do wonders, i’m sure.

fish1234fish1234
    Greenhorn
    Private message

IMG_20220808_122809448_HDR

emmaoliveremmaoliver
    Greenhorn
    Private message

was the soil soggy or damp when you repotted it? repotting will definitely solve the problem, you just need to set a watering frequency like once in a week and then water again when the soil is dry.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)