Help with Bird of Paradise – Leaves Turning Brown?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    whitechocolatewhitechocolate
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello – My bird of paradise leaves seem to be turning. Any idea what this could be and how to remedy it?imageimage

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi whitechocolate, this might be due to three things in my opinion:

• Possibly the soil has dried out for a bit too long between waterings. This sometimes happens when you have a regular watering schedule, but the weather gets hot for a few days and the plant’s needs increase temporarily.
    • Hard water: if you water with tap water, there’s a good chance that it is underground water that is loaded with too many minerals. This sometimes leads to necrosis, though the spot would show darker colors, even black. Try switching to rain water or distilled water. This might also happen if you overfeed your plant with fertilizer.
    • There’s also the risk that your plant is turning too root bound, reaching a point where they strangle each other out and block the flow of water and sap. Since your pot, looks very neat I think you might have reported recently, you might have spotted roots going round in circles if this were the case? If you did Troy recently, this might explain the brown: roots might have been shaken and torn in the process, leading again to a lack of water.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

cassy0110cassy0110
    Greenhorn
    Private message

It happened to my plant too, but I realized that I was watering it too much

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)