Lemon Tree Questions about pruning and color of fruit

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    popps9popps9
    Greenhorn
    Private message

My lemon tree is about 3 years old and I think I’ve allowed it to grow out of control. When and how should I prune it, also all the lemons have a slight brown covering and none are actually getting yellow. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Pics enclosedTREE 1TREE 2

lionnalionna
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello, your lemon tree looks beautiful! It’s grown so well in just three years! Impressive!

About the pruning, now is actually the right time to do it! The goal would be to change the normal growing of the tree (single trunk growing tall) to several stems that don’t grow as high so it’s easy to pick the fruits.

So wrap a yarn around three or four side-reaching branches that are between knee and hip height or lower, and cut the trunk above the third or fourth one. It feels like you’re cutting most of the tree off! But it works, and the side shoots that remain will start growing thicker. I checked the article on growing lemon tree and for sure don’t prune now (unless you’re in australia?)! Wait until spring, it says March-May anytime.

Do you think you could send pictures of the fruits specifically? It’s hard to see just what is happening there, they’re very small on these first photos.

popps9popps9
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you for your response. I am not sure what you mean by the yarn thing. Could you explain further. Also I have attached  a pic of the lemons .

Thank you again for your help.LEMONNNNNNNNN

popps9popps9
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I will say the lemons we have harvested off her are all juicy and very lemony and good. At least so far.

lionnalionna
    Greenhorn
    Private message

That’s nice to hear! I sure hope that will keep up! They sure look healthy apart from that fruit color problem.

Took me a while to get back to you. All been doing ok?

The yarn thing – that’s my secret when I prune trees and I’m not quite sure yet. I tie a colorful yarn around the branches I think I should keep. Then I take a few steps back and it helps to imagine what the tree looks like. When it’s really confusing I can wrap it around the branch like Christmas lights, it’s really clear. I’m sure there are other ways, but that’s mine.

I first thought your lemons had thrips, but that would make them white or silver-colored, not brown. So I read up and I think it’s a kind of mite instead: silver mite or citrus rust mite. I guess you can treat them the same way you’d get rid of red mite.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)