Blackthorn hedge in Nova Scotia, Canada

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Newbie. 1st post. Looking for information/experiences about growing Blackthorn bush hedge in Nova Scotia. (Eastern Canada). How much does it grow in a year? Plant spacing? How long should I anticipate before I can harvest any fruit? Possible wine or Sloe Gin/Vodka.  Sloe gin is the missing ingredient for a bar drink from the 1970s and 80s called: “A slow comfortable screw up against a brick wall” I did not make it up. It contains Sloe Gin, Southern Comfort, Vodka, Orange juice, Galiano. (Screwdriver + Harvey Wallbanger + Southern Comfort + Sloe Gin).  A designated driver is required. I know that some of this post is not directly topic related. I add it for background information only.

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hello crazycatladysdad, I can only vouch for England but the blackthorn is a pretty fast grower in my areas (Northern England). I do prefer to check on its growth very often in spring: every time it grows a few centimeters, say 10 or so, I snip the tip off to get a lot more branching out. But I’m more into the hedge than the fruits, so my technique leads to a dense hedge but I get less flowers (and fruits).

Most of my hedge has always had sloes, there’s only one that I started myself from a cutting, it bore its first flowers after 3 summers and I got a few fruits that year. You’d possibly get fruits in the second year if you graft a branch from an older shrub onto a sapling you started the year before.

That does sound like a delicious drink but that’s way over the top for my own consumption!

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)