Allamanda Cold Snap Further Questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    popps9popps9
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Referring back to my earlier questions about Allamandas, I have attached several pics of what the plants look like now. My questions are as follows, can I prune this shrub back extremely far? Presently they are about 4-5 feet tall and I was hoping to bring them down to about 23 feet. Also One of the shrubs has a white powder like substance on some of the branches, is this something I should be concerned with and if so what steps shoud I take.

I am trying my best to not have to replace these shrubs but I will do what I must.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank youA1A2A3

fast driverFast Driver
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Hello Popps, looks to me like your shrubs took a beating! How cold did it get?

I think the white stuff looks like mold. The branch it’s on is probably dead from the cold snap and it’s decaying. For me you could prune the shrub back hard, removing dead wood for sure and leaving live wood at the correct length that you wat it to have.

Are the leaves at the bottom part of the shrub or is it a weed growing thru?

popps9popps9
    Greenhorn
    Private message

The leaves that are at the bottom are coming thru the ground , they be off shoots from the Allamanda roots, maybe ?

I am in Central Florida and it got very cold for a while, it got down to the low 30’s for a few nights and not much more than 50 during the day.

So I am to believe I can probably prune back these very far and just hope they recover, correct ?

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi again Popps9, good to hear from you again. I second what Fast Driver wrote: yes, you can go ahead and prune it back to the size you wish. From the pictures you gave, a lot of what you’re going to remove will be dead wood anyways.

There might still be freezing coming along. Leaving dead branches and leaves on the shrub for now will reduce the hit on what is still alive. I would wait until there’s no more risk of hard freezing. That would be around mid-March, if you’re in the Orlando area. Light freezing would still be ok, so if you’re a bit earlier than that it should still be fine.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)