Is my House Tree dead? Pics incl

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ahmeds6221ahmeds6221
    Greenhorn
    Private message

IMG_3702IMG_3701hi. I just moved into a new home and it came with this tree. I believe it’s dead and would like to throw it out but if there is a way to revive it, I would like to keep it. I don’t know how to identify it but it’s about 15ft tall. If you have any tips, it’s greatly appreciated from the family!

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hello Ahmed, I believe that’s a Dracaena massangeana. It’s also called Mass Cane or Corn stalk plant.

There’s quite a lot of information on it here. It’s in great health, it seems to me. If you don’t like it to be that tall, you can cut it and it will sprout new shoots lower down. But having it this tall is a great way to have greenery upstairs!

welcome-to-our-forum

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

kellkell
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I agree that it looks healthy. And yes, cutting the stem to your preferred height isn’t a problem. It will get bushy with new sprouts and will surely get that rejuvenated look. Snip off the dry leaves and the plant will thank you for that.

ahmeds6221ahmeds6221
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you for the response. Do you recommend repotting the plant? Any tips or tricks for how to revive the plant?

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Repotting is always beneficial,but on such a tall plant it’s quite difficult! You could strap the stem to the upper floor to keep it upright while you tease the old pot out and replace the potting mix.

What’s super important is drainage. Water should be able to escape out from the bottom and then into a saucer, and the pot should never wallow in that water. So for instance, you would build a small stand to slide the saucer under so excess water can drip into. Another option mentioned in a recent topic here (Dracaena Marginata dropping leaves!) is to use pebbles or gravel.

Since repotting is difficult you might ant to topdress instead. There’s a guide here on that, too (https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/topdressing.html).

Adding fertilizer will help, but don’t fall into the trap of overwatering, it’s better to apply too little but do so several times, than to overdo it and burn or drown the plant. The best fertilizer would be a fermented tea prepared from the plant’s leaves themselves (i see you have a few dried ones you can use for that.) But any leaf plant fertilizer will do.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

kellkell
    Greenhorn
    Private message

You’ll know there’s a need to repot if the plant is root bound. Dig a bit in the soil at least 4-5 cm or 2 inches to check. I suggest cut the stem shorter first to make it easier.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)