about my Madagascar Jasmine which is too leggy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    azitaazita
    Greenhorn
    Private message

My plant is new and I tried to provide a good environment for it. But it grows leggy. after growing up with a few good and healthy leaves, it started to grow long without big leaves. should i give it a special fertilizer? or what should I do to grow with big leaves? I don’t expect it to give the flowers, just I expect having good and big leaves.

p.P.
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi is it growing indoors? Maybe its lacking light? Mine started off just as you described and I just kept wrapping the stem around and around the hoop it came with. In the end it looked quite lush. I did get a few more leaves when I placed it in a lighter corner of the room (one wall was painted dark I moved it to the other cream-colored side).

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Most new plants you don’t have to fertilize immediately. It only becomes a question after about 4-6 months, when the soil mix gets older. When you get there, you can use an all-purpose flower fertilizer, but don’t overdose it.

As to why it grows leggy without making new larger leaves, the answer is most probably light. Leggy = searching for more light. Along the way it pops a leaf out and such to check new conditions, but otherwise it’s just aiming for the sun and wants to get there asap. You might want to move it closer to a window or give it supplemental lighting.

Some people get results by shaking their plant a bit, (like bumping into it). It replicates being outside with wind, etc. And stems grow thicker and a bit stouter after time. But it’s time-consuming and the impact is small.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)