An Olive tree that has lost all its leaves over the winter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    paicejpaicej
    Greenhorn
    Private message

My olive tree shed 75% of its leaves through the winter and has only had a quarter regrowth this spring after I fed it with a small amount of diluted tomorite. Could anyone suggest how I might revive it please.

dkaradkara
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’d say if it has any regrowth at all it’s already on the right track! What do you think hurt it, did it get cold over the winter? It’s best to protect it a bit when it’s the first few winters out. At least now it’ll have better resistance since it’s very true that what doesn’t kill it makes it stronger!

Prune off the dead wood, by now it should be obvious which branches are alive and which aren’t. Cutting off the dead branches which sharp shears will make a clean wound that will heal easily. The earlier, the better.

Tomorite seems good to me, after checking I don’t see why not use it. But it’s a good idea to dilute it because since your olive tree isn’t running on all cylinders right now, best not overload it.

It should do fine on its own, actually, once you clear the dead wood and feed it a bit every now and then. I’m guessing it’s in a pot? That would make protecting it next winter more important than if it were in the ground.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)