Anthurium advice on repotting

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bea.thubea.thu
    Greenhorn
    Private message

What are the signs when anthurium needs repotting? Thanks for your help.

SamC.SamC.
    Greenhorn
    Private message

You’ll know it’s time to repot when you see that your plant is severely rootbound. Repot in spring. Some sites say repotting is recommended every 2-3 years but for me, every 2 years is ideal because roots quickly take up the space in the pot.

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

When it doesn’t bear any flowers for a year or so then you should repot it. Normally, if well taken care of, it can have flowers the whole year. This is amazing for a plant not native to temperate climates!

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

bea.thubea.thu
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks. I checked the roots and a lot are out at the bottom of the pot and not much soil left in. And it’s true that I only had flowers beginning of this year and since then I haven’t noticed new blooms. I’ll repot this for sure!

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hope you get pretty flowers soon and I’d be glad to know when that happens!

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

TommyTommy
    Greenhorn
    Private message

It really depends on the roots. However, if you start with a larger pot, like, for instance, 10-inch pot, you won’t have to worry about repotting for 1 year or so. It’s common recommendation to repot once roots take over one half of the pot, as suggested here: https://indoorgardenook.com/anthurium-crystallinum-care/#9

Also, I agree, the best time to do this is during spring because it is the growing time for most plants. However, if you missed the deadline, you can also do it in early fall without any problems.

Oh yeah, one more tip/sign you should look is leaves touching the soil. If it happens, then it is definitely the time for anthurium to be repotted.

Hope this helps, cheers!

bea.thubea.thu
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi Tommy! Thanks a lot for this detailed comment with a link. I’ve taken a look at it and learned several things. I also like your last tip, leaves touching the soil as a sign the need to repot. What’s behind this one – lack of nutrients you think?

Forgive me for this late response.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)