Are dried leaves source of infection?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    AmmyAmmy
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have the practice to put on top of the soil – in the pot – the dried leaves from houseplants. My subconscious mind tells me it’s making the soil healthy like a mini composting area.

However, some plants have been sickly for quite sometime now. Is there a link?

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

I’d discourage you from doing so, Ammy. It can be the new habitat for small insects and ants which could trigger parasites like aphids. There’s no risk and even recommended for plants outdoor, in the ground because it can be considered as mulch. Indoor environment makes decomposition longer. If you really want to have a compost, you can get a plastic compost box and stock dried leaves in there. You can use this to mix with soil when repotting for ex.

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

freedaFreeda
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I think it’s okay if it’s just its own leaves that fall every now and then which is not a lot if the plant is healthy. It rather helps in keeping moisture in the soil but not reliable as compost.

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

There could be a link, there could be not. Have you checked the pile of leaves, look for fungus or colony of ants? I’m with Freeda here, as long as it’s from its own leaves it’s okay. Never had any problems although but I don’t do it anymore for aesthetic concerns. 😀

In gardening, there’s always something you can’t control.  This makes the experience so humbling. 🙂

TommyTommy
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I don’t really think it’s a good idea to do that. Dry and dead leaves can contain bacteria and infection, and leaving it in the soil might cause it to spread. In my personal experience, it’s always better to remove such leaves. But I don’t know, it’s just me, I just like to tidy up my plants.  😆

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)