Bird feeders home-made by kids

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    niko-graceniko-grace
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Kids made them on Christmas and a little creature found it. Perhaps, it has been a long time that they’ve discovered the feeders but only noticed it few days ago.

home-made bird feeders

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Wow that’s a great shot, @nico-grace! At first I didn’t see the robin but then wow, it’s so fun to see it peering at the seeds!

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

luis_prluis_pr
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Must be too early in the morning for me. What is holding these things up in the air? It is not clear from the picture. I see a string… attached to the suet somehow???. Are the suets encased in plastic or ???

niko-graceniko-grace
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Their grandmother had kept empty toilet roll cartons. She spread some fat left over from cooking (I think it was pork fat or goose fat or something) on the rolls and then sprinkled seeds all over it. Fats made the carton waterproof and that’s what makes it a bit shiny I guess. The kids loved making it with her together!

luis_prluis_pr
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Oh, that reminded me that I have a recipe for making suet somewhere!

niko-graceniko-grace
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I checked with my Ma, what she used was just the fat that was left behind from roasting geese in the oven. I told her it was a brilliant idea since it was way better to let the birds eat it than to clog up the drains!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)