Bougainvillea variety without any thorns

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sofieSofie
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello everyone! Is there a bougainvillea variety without any thorns? Would appreciate your reply. Thank you.

ma.yoma.yo
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’ve never heard of a thornless bougainvillea.. sadly! Never got one ’cause I hate getting pricked. What I had as a child whenever we had to get the ball that rolled over to that plant corner is I think enough.  😀

h a r r i e 0 7H a r r i e 0 7
    Greenhorn
    Private message

There’s no variety that’s totally thornless I believe. However, there are two varieties known for having very low thorn count namely: “Miss Alice” and “Silhouette”.  You might want to take a look at it and perhaps any of them will be pleasing to you.

micky cdMicky CD
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Check out B. Bambino and Hawaiian varieties as well.. They too have very MINIMAL thorns. Flowers are compact you’ll surely love the blooms.

sofieSofie
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Sorry I just got the time to check your replies. Thank you very much!

I started checking on the varieties you both mentioned. So far, Miss Alice pleases me. Will see if available at garden stores by the time lockdown is over.

nicegardenerNicegardener
    Greenhorn
    Private message

It’s interesting to know that bougainvillea has no variety yet that’s completely thornless. There’s still work to do for the breeders then.

wenwenWenwen
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Even with bonsai, do they still come with thorns? Just curious here. 🤔

smartiessmarties
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Here’s another variety I really like, it’s Torch Glow. Just very artistic shape. Picture’s not mine, just took from the net. Thorn wise, you’ve got less than the usual so why not?

sofieSofie
    Greenhorn
    Private message

@Smarties – thank you very much for your message. I totally agree this one is artistic! Soo happy I’m getting more and more options.

@Wenwen
    – I have no idea if bougainvillea bonsai has thorns or not even with the varities mentioned by others that have very low count on thorns.

@Nicegardener
    – Yes, and really hoping they could breed a variety that has no single thorn!

RosalynRosalyn
    Expert gardener
    Private message

@Wenwen Just got a confirmation from a cousin who’s expert at bougainvillea bonsai making that they are thornless. It seems that the level of hormone responsible for the growth, including thorns, is very minimal due to its intended size. The plant then focuses on growing branches and forgets about the thorns. Now, if that’s something true to other plants with thorns, my cousin couldn’t say.

Thanks for bringing up the topic; rekindles my curiosity!

wenwenWenwen
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you for the info @rosalyn. That makes sense.  🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)