Calaidiums new customer of this great plant

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    fish1234fish1234
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi I bought some calaidiums in may/June in u.k. as tubers and still two red flash/ Freida hemple hasn’t come up. I’ve paid particular attention to raising them and I’ve already had to adjust the soil adding orchid mix instead of mix of wood shavings they came in (bad idea) so avoided rot at the last minute. Not sure if I have them in too dry a spot in conservatory with sheet over the roof to stop sun at the top shelf of plant rack 6 ft I would say it’s not particularly humid in here but it’s shady. I find their pots dry out pretty quickly as they are in a orchid mix. So I put the two non starters in a plastic box for a week to see anything happens would this be good idea?

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Well, fish1234, it has been a while and no answer yet, let me have a go! Caladium is a plant that loves moisture. It grows in the tropics where air moisture is usually around 90-95%. Putting the tubers in a plastic box should yield some good results for that, since it should increase the moisture. Especially if you add wet cottons in a corner of the box.

Temperature shouldn’t rise too much since they’re in the shade.

They’re not too vulnerable to rot, except when it’s only tubers, so you did well to change the growing mix. Orchid mix is fine at this point, but if/when leaves come out it should be ok to use more regular soil mix for a part of the mix.

I’m curious as to whether you got any changes in the past few weeks?

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

fish1234fish1234
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Not sure if you saw my message?

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi fish1234, no, i didn’t.

It might be because you tried answering the email you got; answers don’t get forwarded. A messaging way that works is either

• to reply to the topic like you just did, or send a “private message”, you can do this from my own profile here with the “message” button
    • or from this topic, there’s a small “private message” under my avatar picture.

I do hope I can further help you with this!

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)