Callicarpa plant fertiliser requirements

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    plumesgalore66plumesgalore66
    Greenhorn
    Private message

is there a recommended fertiliser for Callicarpa

luis_prluis_pr
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Not usually as they are not heavy feeders. I do not feed mine at all but, on some random years, I will add some cottonseed meal to it and nearby plants. They do not mind my alkaline soil. Feed those that are growing in containers as directed on the fertilizer’s product label; use a timed-release or water soluble fertilizer listed for use in containers.

christyChristy
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I agree with luis, they’re very easy to care for. I include them in my round of yearly mulching with whatever is available at the time, usually mostly leaves that break down and such. Keeps the weeds out since the shrub is a bit see-through and would quickly be overrun if not for the mulch. I guess what they get from that is enough for them to be happy.

Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello Thank you both for the response to my question regarding my Callicarpa plant. I was concerned because I moved the plant about 18 months ago. It didn’t produce berries last last which I am not surprised at, so I am hoping it will do so this year. It is in a good position ,full sun and protection from harsh winds. I live in the south east of Ireland.The soil is alkaline and is well dug.

christyChristy
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Maybe leprechauns are snatching them away this year  😛

Greenhorn
    Private message

Wow well if I was a ” greenhorn” I might very well believe that. 😜

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)