colony of wasps under my roof

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    blackboosterblackbooster
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’ve recently discovered that a colony of wasps is under my roof facing the garden. There’s a space between the roof and the ceiling so that’s where they get access to. Are they going to stay there forever? Is there any risk that they attack us although it’s high around 5 meters? I don’t know if any of us in the family is allergic to wasps and bees but I don’t want to disturb them either. It might sound funny but I’m proud they found my home a secure place to stay! 😀

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

From what I’ve experienced, they’re just there for a time waiting to find a suitable place for the colony and will eventually leave when the search is over. As long as you don’t attack them accidentally or intentionally, I don’t see any danger. And given that the roof it’s pretty high, it’s unlikely that they’ll be disturbed. However, if you have a dining area just below it, chances are they’ll dare touch meat and sugary food items. Again, they won’t attack if not felt threatened.

Yes, you should be proud! 🙂 It means you’re house is a healthy place – no pesticides or insecticides that could kill them.

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

vaneVANE
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Having a colony in your house without knowing whether anyone is allergic or not is somewhat not reassuring I find. If they like tasting certain types of food as Carol said, it’s better to keep from eating near the colony? Perhaps transfer the dining table a bit farther? And, if there’s any way to check if you’re allergic or not, it could be worthy doing. Regarding the hostility of wasps, I’ve never experienced being bitten when they come around near sometimes even less than a foot distance from me. So I agree that unless they feel threatened, they’re calm and gentle. 😉

luis_prluis_pr
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Ugh, I have some in multiple places in the garden and they usually stay away half of the time. The problem is that they like to habitate in bad places… places where wasps should not be so, I end up spraying around at sunrise. There is a spot near the exit doors that they come to eeeevery year and there are some low plants that they like to build nests inside. Bad, bad, bad wasps!   ;o))

Since the nests near the doors (less than 1 foot/10-15 cms away) and the nests in low (2 feet/60cms) plants are in human traffic/work areas, they are a problem and thus, I tend to spray those nests. But if they build the nest way up high, I let them be.

beekeeperbeekeeper
    Greenhorn
    Private message

@luis_pr: Thats reasonable since you dont have a choice!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)