Controlling dandelions needs too much energy

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lets plantLet’s plant!
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Last summer, I spent a lot of energy culling dandelions. Any ideas how to control them? Don’t get me wrong, I love dandelion flowers. It’s just that they get so many and my garden is kind of tiny.

flo hansFlo Hans
    Greenhorn
    Private message

There are herbicides available against this weed. You can check it at a garden store. Digging their roots out is another option but takes a lot time because they go deep in the soil. Tools are also available for this purpose.

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

On my part, as I have bee hives (and dandelion flowers are really attracting a lot of bees starting from spring), I usually just pick the withered dandelion flowers and contain them by putting in my fireplace. That way, seeds will not have the chance to regrow. At the same time, I also dig some out. Of course, this is only realistic for smaller gardens which is what I also have.

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

lets plantLet’s plant!
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you both for your suggestions! I’ll look into a digging tool. Cheers!

althea r.Althea R.
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Controlling dandelions is not as easy as it may seem. If your neighbors have gardens too and just let dandelions grow, you still get the seeds through the wind. This is true in my case.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)