CROWN IMPERIALS – HELP WITH CARE

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    elgar247elgar247
    Greenhorn
    Private message

This is the first time I have grown these flowers, our soil is thick clay so the bulbs are in pots but buried in the soil.  I do not know how to keep them until planting  next autumn.  It is not possible to plant them in the soil and it is far too wet and really very thick clay.  Can anyone advise how I can keep the bulbs until September.  Any assistance much appreciated.  Thank you

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi, do you mean to say you’ve just got your bulbs this season and are waiting for autumn to plant them? Why don’t you set up a low raised bed, with a few thick logs or hollow blocks or whatnot? I’m thinking that if your bulbs are already now in soil in the pot, might as well make the setup permanent. After all, though it’s recommended to plant in Fall, it’s also possible to plant at other times. A raised bed will completely solve your clay soil problem, since you can choose which kind of soil you’d add to it.

If you do prefer keeping them dormant, I would store them in a cool, dry, dark place, spread out on a tray with newspaper. Keep them upright as much as possible. If you’ve got a cellar, that would be excellent!

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)