Deadheading roses and dormancy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    catbasketCatbasket
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Bonjour. We have bought a house with a garden full of roses in the Creuse. As we are not living here full time (yet) my question is about deadheading. I did this in spring and again at the end of July and the roses are all blooming well now, some need deadheading. Should I now leave the roses as we may not return again until next spring? I read that continuing to deadhead will encourage more flowering so is it better to leave them now so they can become dormant and be pruned early next year? I don’t have any experience of roses,  any advice gratefully received.

denisedenise
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi Catbasket! Deadheading can be actually done every time a flower withers. It is true, if you deadhead them right now, there will be flowers this autumn (but only few due to the cold) and this is fine. If you love tea, rose hips (flowers that are fertilized and make a round shape below the petals) make a delicious thick tea. In this case, you might not want to deadhead those.

kay @ dKay @ D
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hey, you might want to take a look at this site about deadheading.

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/advice-and-inspiration/how-to-deadhead-a-rose/

It says do deadheading throughout the flowering season.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)