Does lantana reproduce from seeds??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LadynatureLadynature
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Has anybody here tried propagating lantana through seeds? How does it work? Thanks.

c chickc chick
    Greenhorn
    Private message

We have a lot of lantana growing around the house but I’ve never seen a sprout from seeds.

But here a trivia: the ripe (purple blackish colour) seeds are edible and are consumed like blueberries. Try it, it’s sweet.  😉

LadynatureLadynature
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Oh that’s interesting; they really bear numerous seeds so I thought they do propagate by this means.

I can’t wait to try eating them, thanks for that info

RosalynRosalyn
    Expert gardener
    Private message

I’m afraid what @cchick has observed is not true for lantana. It’s even mentioned in this article that lantana could indeed be propagated by seeds: https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/lantana-planting-care.html

Seeds sprout (although cuttings are common) but for best germination results, it must be soaked in warm water overnight to soften the coat before sowing. Then it could take up to 2 mos before finally transplanting outdoor when the weather gets hotter.

c chickc chick
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Oh really?! @Rosalyn, it’s so hard to believe it as I’ve never really seen any sprout. It seems not seeing any isn’t equivalent to not being possible.

Pls forgive me @Ladynature.

gulabpkAnonymous
    Greenhorn
    Private message

“Unlocking the Mysteries of Lantana Reproduction: Seed Propagation Explained”

Yes, lantana can indeed reproduce from seeds! Here’s what you need to know:

Lantana plants produce small berries, which contain seeds. These seeds can be harvested from ripe berries and planted to grow new lantana plants. However, there are a few key steps to ensure successful seed propagation:

Seed Collection: Wait until the lantana berries are fully ripe and have turned dark in color. Harvest the berries and extract the seeds from them.
    Seed Preparation: Clean the seeds by removing any pulp or debris. You can soak them in water for a few hours to help with germination.
    Sowing Seeds: Plant the cleaned seeds in a well-draining potting mix, covering them lightly with soil. Keep the soil consistently moist but not waterlogged.
    Warmth and Light: Lantana seeds require warmth and sunlight to germinate. Place the pots in a warm, sunny location, such as a windowsill or greenhouse.
    Patience and Care: Germination may take several weeks, so be patient. Keep the soil moist and provide adequate light as the seeds sprout and grow into seedlings.
    Transplanting: Once the seedlings have developed several sets of true leaves, they can be transplanted into individual pots or directly into the garden, spacing them according to their mature size.
    By following these steps, you can successfully propagate lantana from seeds and enjoy a garden filled with these beautiful, vibrant flowers!

For more gardening tips and plant propagation techniques, visit Gulab.pk, your ultimate resource for all things green and garden-related!”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)