Does lantana reproduce from seeds??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LadynatureLadynature
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Has anybody here tried propagating lantana through seeds? How does it work? Thanks.

c chickc chick
    Greenhorn
    Private message

We have a lot of lantana growing around the house but I’ve never seen a sprout from seeds.

But here a trivia: the ripe (purple blackish colour) seeds are edible and are consumed like blueberries. Try it, it’s sweet.  😉

LadynatureLadynature
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Oh that’s interesting; they really bear numerous seeds so I thought they do propagate by this means.

I can’t wait to try eating them, thanks for that info

RosalynRosalyn
    Expert gardener
    Private message

I’m afraid what @cchick has observed is not true for lantana. It’s even mentioned in this article that lantana could indeed be propagated by seeds: https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/lantana-planting-care.html

Seeds sprout (although cuttings are common) but for best germination results, it must be soaked in warm water overnight to soften the coat before sowing. Then it could take up to 2 mos before finally transplanting outdoor when the weather gets hotter.

c chickc chick
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Oh really?! @Rosalyn, it’s so hard to believe it as I’ve never really seen any sprout. It seems not seeing any isn’t equivalent to not being possible.

Pls forgive me @Ladynature.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)