Drying flowers, what are the best techniques?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KatyKaty
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Who has experienced drying flowers here? Any techniques to share?

denisedenise
    Greenhorn
    Private message

The easiest way, taught by my elementary grade teacher when I was a kid, is to press the flower like by inserting it in a book. This technique does not really retain the vibrant color and form. You cannot dry more flowers at once either.

What my grandma does with roses is air-dry them. She ties fresh flowers but not yet fully-bloomed in bunches and hang them upside down. If you have quetions regarding this, I could surely ask her and write her answers her. 🙂 I have roses in my garden but I don’t dry them. I just like them when they are fresh in the vase.

lannie_19Lannie_19
    Greenhorn
    Private message

You can also use microwave to dry flowers. I guess you’re also surprised to know this, the same reaction I had when I first heard about it? Curious, I tried and it worked. 😉

RosalynRosalyn
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Oh, great ideas! I’ve been wanting to try drying hydrangea flowers. Every summer, our plant generously blooms and would like to keep some indoor like what I see in magazines. Just wondering.. should it be hanged in a cool temperature or anywhere in the house is fine?

sweet zoeSweet Zoe
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I think anywhere in the house is fine. I tried hanging roses in the kitchen and it worked just fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)