Eucalyptus tree – cutting roots

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    i09316i09316
    Greenhorn
    Private message

how close to the tree trunk can you cut that you dont kill the tree. our complex is digging a trench in order to install a propane tank. the trench is 5 ft from the tree. the tree is over 35 years old over 60′ tall.

hands_and_dirthands_and_dirt
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Is that the center of the trench, or the nearest side? Cutting as close as 4-5 feet should be ok, but I’d really worry about wind toppling it over. Do you ever get strong winds in your area?

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hello again, short note for new readers:

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

I agree with hands_and_dirt, the tree should survive since it still has more than half its roots left. But I would seriously question leaving it as tall: half of its anchorage will be removed, all on the same side. At such a height, it is dangerous even in moderate winds because of leverage.

Options are to either remove the tree entirely (and plant a new one?), or prune it back so it’s much shorter, around 20-30 feet max. Can your compound get in touch with a professional landscaper familiar to the area for advice?

Also, there might be safety regulations regarding gas-piping trenches that involve nearby trees. Sometimes it isn’t allowed to grow large trees nearby since in case of severe weather, they might fall over and tear pipes up, adding hazards to an already serious weather issue.

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)