Ficus ginseng help/advice needed

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    fatbibfatbib
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Have had my ficus for several years always happy and healthy.

This year odd leaves go yellow and fall off.  As over two years old do not think it is a watering problem

feel may need repotting, do I need to increase size of pot or can I trim back roots.   What type of soil should I use?

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Hmm late answer it seems. Sure sounds like repotting is needed, you’re right on that. To answer your question exactly, the truth is you can do both. If you increase the size of your pot, you don’t necessarily need to cut or trim the roots off. You only need to do that if you they’re rootbound, like they’re running around in circles.

But if you want to keep the same pot, then you’ll have to trim the roots because if you don’t, you won’t have any space to add fresh soil. You can cut them quite short, as long as you don’t forget to water your ficus will be fine.

Use a soil that drains well, like the one used for succulents and cacti, but mix it half with a richer soil that has more nutrients (any flower or veggie patch soil mix is fine, even garden dirt is ok).

Loving the season!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)