Four seasons lemon tree too large to move

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    lizanLizan
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have had this lemon tree, in a large pot, for almost two years; it’s growing well and has an exciting amount of ripening fruit! The problem is it is becoming too large and heavy to move in and out of my large greenhouse, and with advancing years and health issues this is only going to get worse, of course. We are happy to prune the tree to keep it smaller, but are concerned that this will not solve the problem for long.

I have an additional small greenhouse which I would be happy to use only for the lemon tree – could I keep it in here all year round? This greenhouse gets good light, is on an East/West axis and is slightly shaded on both long sides. We could keep the door and roof ventilation open all summer.

Thank you for your help!

ratatat-tattyratatat-tatty
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Hi Lizan, of course you can keep the lemon tree in the greenhouse if it’s too hard to move. I’d just try to make sure it doesn’t get too hot, too dry, and too “lonely”. Hot you got covered with open vents, dry you need to make sure it gets a little water every few days, and about the lonely it mainly for pollination of the flowers. I know citrus usually self-pollinate but having extra bugs and bees involved is sure to help, I think.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)