Fritillaries after flowering care

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    troodlestroodles
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Once the leaves have yellowed and died do I cut the stem?

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Yes unless you want seeds.

Loving the season!

troodlestroodles
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’m a complete novice with plants and have been very lucky that all 12 bulbs planted have come up beautifully. Can you explain how to take seeds from the fritillaries and then plant and care for them please .

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

You made a good choice starting with bulb flowers, they’re among the easier flowers to grow and I personally find them the most beautiful. For seeds, it all comes down to waiting. Normally pollinators like bees will do their thing and then the flowers will start wilting a bit. But actually if you look close, only the petals are falling off, and at the tip of the flower then you’ll find a few seed pods. Let these stay on the plant until they dry up, then you can pick them. Pick them when they start turning yellow, if you wait until they’re really dry then they’ll fall out and scatter before you find them. Then when you have them, store them in a paper bag in a shoebox somewhere where it gets cold but it stays dry like a greenhouse or a garage or a shed or whatnot. Then for the planting the page on this website has good tips, the page is here : https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/crown-imperial.html crown imperial is another name for fritillary

Loving the season!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)