Green Alkanet or Common Bugloss in my garden?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    cathtcrtcathtcrt
    Greenhorn
    Private message

These are another 2 plants that myself and the bees absolutely love, but would I be unwise to introduce it to my garden? I don’t want something that will take over, but I have an area underneath my laburnum tree (also shaded by a privet hedge) where I think this may grow well. Ideas please good people. x

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi cathtcrt! Is it partly (only 4-6 hours sun each day) or fully shaded (less than 4 hours) area? Fuchsia and bleeding heart are both amazing and they thrive in partly sunny exposure. On the other hand, virginia bluebells and  hostas tolerate fully shaded spots.

Hope you have an amazing shaded area below the laburnum tree soon. Laburnum alone when blooming is already magnificent. With more flowers below it, it must have a super duper garden sight!

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

ratatat-tattyratatat-tatty
    Expert gardener
    Private message

It seems you sure want blue! Where are you at? I know bugloss is rated as invasive in some parts of the US, but if you’re in the UK no problem. Why not go for borage? It’s also blue, but true its leaves get very big when its healthy, just my opinion. Both Alkanet and bugloss will spread through the seeds, but that’s also what’ll make them easy to care for since they’re self-sowing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)