Hamamelis flowering – in June!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    winter36Winter36
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’m in the UK and have a Hamamelis Pallida. It was planted in a large pot last autumn. Flowered last December/January. It is now fully in flower again in mid June.
    I’ve searched online and can find nothing about this happening. The tree appears healthy. Has anyone experienced this unseasonal flowering? Would love to hear from you if so.

dragonlordDragonlord
    Greenhorn
    Private message

That’s funny I’m not the only one then with plants blooming out of whack.

I don’t think it’ll help you much though because of what and where I’m talking about… I’m talking dragon fruit cactus blooming a full four months early in the Philippines!

I know the dry season set on a bit earlier than usual but four months doesn’t match that change… I’m also at loss because I didn’t schedule any work going about pollinating them and all so I’m having to let nature do most of the work for real this time.

Frenchy friesFrenchy fries
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Whether it’s early or delay season for flowers and fruits, the weather is what’s causing it. I heard several growers who complain about climate change because it’s hard for them to anticipate some tasks. In tropical zones, some fruit trees would bear twice if the weather remains favorable for a long time, like long hot season.

In the case of your witch hazel, flowering twice is something I’ve never heard before. Could it be that you had a sudden change in temperature that triggered the “reflowering”?

Also looking forward to hearing other people’s experience on this.

dragonlordDragonlord
    Greenhorn
    Private message

@Winter36 and @Frenchyfries, I found this here that might explain a few things.

“The plants in our large witch hazel (Hamamelis) collection do not all bloom at the same time, nor do they always bloom at the same time every year. Bloom time depends heavily on weather. “

It’s from the missouri botanical garden page, actually the first sentence so I guess what you’re living through isn’t actually entirely unexpected. Seems to me you’re just very lucky to get double blooming this year! Congratulations!  😀  😀  😀

winter36Winter36
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you, Dragonlord. I have just visited Missouri Botanical Gardens page. I noticed that the flowering is on bare wood, whereas ours has leaves already. As you said, I will look upon the second flowering as a bonus!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)