Harvesting pears, should I beat the wasps to eat the fruit?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RandiRandi
    Greenhorn
    Private message

We can’t wait harvesting our pears but we don’t know when is the best time to do it? The fruits are huge and some have holes from wasps who enjoyed their fruit meal. I’m afraid the insects will consume them all before we could harvest. Any advice you could spare?

DazDaz
    Greenhorn
    Private message

IMO, harvest when they are firm but not rock hard. Let them fully ripen in a bowl. Also spray for fruit fly and harvest and dispose of fallen/bad fruit, this will help eliminate fruit fly. You can also by insect bait stations to help with pests.

RandiRandi
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you for your insights, Daz. You seem expert on this, have you got several trees and for a long time?  Is there a change of color we might check out as well?

At least 2 fell from rotting and followed your advice. I actually buried them to avoid further infection. I’ll check the insect bait at the store.

MarideMaride
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’m taking note of this. I have pear trees planted 2 years ago and hoping to get fruits next year.

lizzieolizzieo
    Greenhorn
    Private message

There are different varieties of pears .. the Summee pear (Bartlett’s ) are very tasty and should be harvested well befor they ripen. They are very bright green and rock hard but in the early fall there is a very subtle change in their colour .. a slight reddish gold tint appears .. even though they are still very hard they will “snap off “ at the stem when bent back on the branch they are ready to pick.  You will have beaten the wasps to the fruit!! They should be layer out in a cool dry room to ripen .. if left on the tree till they fall off they tend to rot at the core and you will have a battle with the wasps .. my Bartlett’s get sliced and dried and used for winter snacks ..

plantito_sottoplantito_sotto
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I would harvest by feel when the fruit is firm to touch then put them in a brown bag and they’ll get ripe pretty fast.

Goodluck!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)