Help … what do I do before first freeze

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    brownthumbbrownthumb
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi…

new home owner.  This plant flourished this past summer on my porch.  Don’t know how to take care of him during the soon to be Texas winter.  Any helpful hints.  It is planted in this heavy cement pot which believe has drains in the bottom.  Cover it or try and drag inside? Thanks in advance.  – Jackson

9A93E571-D030-453D-91B1-77DE323CE553

vaneVANE
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi brown-soon-to-turn-green-thumb it is truly beautiful! Congratulations for the house too not easy these days, well done!

Where in texas are you? It doesn’t get nearly as cold in the south as it does in the north. In the south, you’re looking at 20 to 30°F which isn’t that cold. I found the map here that helps pinpoint the coldest it should get this winter (if nothing goes haywire with the climate again): https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/HARDINESS.HTM

If you’re in the warmer zones, since the plant is sheltered from wind (in a corner) and close to the wall (walls are heated from the inside), you’ll be fine with either nothing or just a thin sheet of winterizing fleece.

In the colder zones, like up north, it’ll get so cold even the pot might freeze and break, if you don’t protect it. In that case, I’d either wrap it up really well (several layers of thick fleece with straw strewn in between layers so the fleece doesn’t touch) or bring it indoors, in the garage, if you have one.

brownthumbbrownthumb
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks for the response.  I’m in Dallas, so sorta in the middle of the 2 extremes.  I’ll try and talk my wife into letting me bring it inside.  Can’t trust these crazy new weather patterns.  Thx again.

vaneVANE
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Welcome! If you’re in good terms with the previous owners, they’ll be happy to give you a few pointers. I was thinking of how nice all the leaves looked, I think they are all from this year and might have sprouted back from the ground in spring if they had died off.

brownthumbbrownthumb
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Actually bought plant from Home Depot around 4th July and was still in plastic container until mother-in-law permanently planted it in the cement pot around 3 months ago – and, it just took off.  Guess, that’s why I’m a bit attached to him, hoping he’ll make it until Spring.  Thx

vaneVANE
    Greenhorn
    Private message

ah ok I thought it had “come with the house”. All right then! I’m sure it’ll make it through with all that attention 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)