How to cut back overgrown Lavender

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    john milburnjohn milburn
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have a number of overgrown lavenders in my garden that have become really woody. How to I cut them back into a nice shape again

john milburnjohn milburn
    Greenhorn
    Private message

BF78EBC7-9C36-4D90-99A2-4B99A0A0A88046111822-0F4E-4A2E-B0C6-D0A2F1DF0C555CC1A198-BD75-4127-9420-1F6B2CA88227A0503BC7-7106-4F36-A7F8-477353569A27

Nate from N&GNate from N&G
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Wow, that’s a really nice patio! Did you read the article on cutting back wood lavender on this site? It’s right here. It’s exactly what you need, together with this article on hard pruning lavender which gives you the step-by-step.

In short, you’d have to do it over three years, cutting back one in three branches every year and hoping to trigger growth around the trunk area. Whatever new growth you get you patiently nurture and keep pinching to let it branch out as much as you can. The author of the post told me that it didn’t work for all the plants, in his case about 1 in five died out even though he was careful, but it did work for the other ones.

From the pictures you shared I’d be pretty optimistic, since I already see some tiny growth towards the middle portions, especially on the first picture. Your lavenders actually aren’t as old as my friend’s were, which is a good thing. It should work out fine!

Nature & Garden moderator.
    Message me if you have any questions, I’ll be glad to help out!

“Winter reveals the strength inside… of those who dare go out!”

arslant001arslant001
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Cut back the top one-third of the lavender plant in late winter or early spring, when new growth begins near the base of the plant.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)