Hydrangea flowers with different colors

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    No. 1 fan of hydrangeasNo. 1 fan of hydrangeas
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Good day! My hydrangea is from a cutting and  last summer was its first time giving flowers. It only bears pink flowers but I’ve seen some who have pink, light blue and purple flowers all from one plant. Is there a way my plant can have other colors too? Thanks.

peaceful soulPeaceful soul
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Apart from hydrangea with white flowers, yes, there is a way to change pink flowers to blue ones (or at least to a hue of blue). My neighbors who also love hydrangeas told me the secret (now, not anymore! :)) and that is to increase the acidity of the soil. And this also works vice-versa. If you want to change blue flowers to pink later, then, lower the acidity of soil. Very interesting, isn’t it? Have fun!

RosalynRosalyn
    Expert gardener
    Private message

We also have hydrangea in our garden and I would like to share that we successfully got blue flowers by increasing the acidity of the soil. Coffee grounds are acidic so you can simply add them to the soil. You can also use mulch from pine barks as they are acidic as well.

No. 1 fan of hydrangeasNo. 1 fan of hydrangeas
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Oh.. It’s that easy? I’ll keep my coffee grounds for my hydrangea starting tomorrow and I’m looking forward to having blue flowers next year!

This is the advantage of being in a forum. People can share ideas and experiences. Thank a lot guys!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)