I need advice for Overgrown Guelder Rose

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    msmith37msmith37
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello!

We just bought a home with a lot of overgrown landscaping and I’m trying to figure out what everything is, how to care for it and how to make it look neater. 🙂 It’s been fun but I’m definitely a newbie. We have a couple of Guelder Rose trees. (At least I think they are. I’ll send pics.) One of these is very overgrown and is growing out from the house so it’s leaning far over the lawn instead of growing upwards. Can I cut it way back without killing it? How can I salvage this plant?

Thanks so much for your help!

MadisonC85DD4F2-86FD-4FD7-AE69-9CC10DA376349440215F-829D-457F-8C89-EAD9D87EA9A3

peaceful soulPeaceful soul
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi there! Nice and healthy, it seems! Now’s actually a good time to cut it back, the blooming is over and that way you still have time for new growth to form – that’s where you’ll get new flowers next year. You can actually cut it back pretty hard. I’d cut like half the stems (it seems there are several) back to only a foot long, and shorten the remaining half by half. If you cut all the stems back completely in one go, sometimes shrubs don’t like it. That’s why I usually do it step-wise. Next year you can cut the remaining taller stems back entirely, and then just trim the growth after the blooming.

msmith37msmith37
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you so much for the quick response! You are a big help! I’m excited to trim the tree today! Thank you!

peaceful soulPeaceful soul
    Greenhorn
    Private message

You’re lucky to have one that looks so vigorous! Really hoping to see a few pics of it in bloom!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)