Identifying honey and the flowers it came from

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Anyone here has bee hives? How do you know which kind of flower your honey comes from?

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

No I don’t have any bees yet but I’m signed up for a training this year, very excited! How many hives do you have?

I read that usually knowing where the honey comes from is a mix of just looking what’s blooming nearby and a little bit how the honey looks like. Like acacia is very runny, but lime tree turns hard real fast, and the color, too.

Loving the season!

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

I’ve got no hives but I had the same question. So in the end, actually, it could be that honey from acacia, for example, is not purely honey from this tree because maybe several flowers are growing nearby? I don’t know if this is making sense.  🙄

In gardening, there’s always something you can’t control.  This makes the experience so humbling. 🙂

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Thanks for your answer, Fatzo. I’ve got 3 hives to take care of.

It seems I should go around my neighborhood and see which plants are blooming then. But this bring me to another question quite related to greenthumb’s comment. If there are several flowers blooming at the same time, let’s say… poppy, borage, hyacinth and so on, I say my honey are from these flowers and call it poppy, borage, hyacinth honey? Looking forward to your response.

FatzoFatzo
    Green Thumb
    Private message

Hi Carol thanks for waiting I needed to fix a window on my house and wasn’t able to visit the forum that much. Usually when more than two flowers are involved, you’d write something like “spring flowers” or “wildflower honey”.

Loving the season!

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Oh, thanks again Fatzo! This helps.

No worries at all. I was busy as well; only able to respond now.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)