Indoor banana tree is dying – Losing leaves and stopped growing – please help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    yuvayuva
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Dear all,

i am very sad about my 2 year old beautiful Banana tree that decided to stop growing and die.. I am not sure what is happening. it survived a winter before, although I was in a different house with more light. This year it was also doing ok, since in December when I went away for two weeks and my boyfriend gave it too much water. Since December it stopped growing and losing green leaves. It seems like the leaves falling because their connection is too soft and brown. I dont know if I can still do anything about it. I repotted it and stop giving wate ralready for a while. But seems like not returning to normal.. Originally 2 meters long this tree is left just as a piece of wood

yuvayuva
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Last picture

luis_prluis_pr
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Unless you have grow lights inside, many banana plants indoors tend wither and return when sunlight levels increase in Spring. The part above the ground fares poorly but the roots are fine so the tree returns in Spring.

When I grew them in the Caribbean, they just kept growing during winter as they do during the rest of the year. However, in mid-Florida, there are frosts sometimes so they grew in pots and the pots would move indoors in the Fall. I would cut the plant about 10-15cms above the ground and the roots would produce a new plant in the Spring. I have not tried to grow them here in Texas but, since Texas is markedly colder than Florida is in winter, I would have to do the same during winter.

Note: I assume that you are now watering it appropriately. Test the soil before watering: insert a finger about 1 or 2 cm /0.5 inch deep. If the soil feels dry, water it. Banana trees require plenty of moisture but, during winter, water only once a week or so. Also, keep them away from hot or cold vents indoors.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)