is bottom watering really effective?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    emmaoliveremmaoliver
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I came across alot of buzz about bottom watering, have any one of you tried it? is it really effective?

sonatangy.ayasonatangy.aya
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Namaste Emma, my own experience is it depends on the plant. I suppose you mean putting a pot on a tray and then pouring water in the tray?

For me this works very well for seedlings in their little pots. The potting mix soaks the water up and then I remove them from the tray and only a little water runs out.

But it doesn’t work well for other pots that are bigger. The water doesn’t seem to soak up high enough. I’d have to use a bucket instead of a tray to make sure the water reaches the whole pot, and then when I remove it too much water drains away. I feel all the food is washing out.

However I love doing this for cactus and succulents. Since the pebbles drain very fast, I’m quickly done with the watering chores because it fills and empties very fast. And i do add a little fertilizer to the water so it compensates whatever washes out.

What are you using it for?

cassy0110cassy0110
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I suppose, it makes the root stronger and allows them to grow directly toward the moisture. Research shows that moisture in the potting soil reaches the bottom and nourishes the roots.

hoolahoola
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Yes I saw that experiment where they film a seed sprouting and the root knows which way to go to find water it was amazing. So bottom watering makes a lot of sense. But maybe it also depends on the size of the seed and that of the pot. A tiny seed might not make it to the bottom where water is… And the soil, too: some don’t let water seep up very well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)