Keep basket plants through winter

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have a trailing verbena that I really want to save. I’d like to take cuttings in the early spring. How is it best to keep the mother plant through the winter?

GeorgyGeorgy
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello, it shouldn’t be much of a problem: just bring it in a garage, next to a window that doesn’t get too much sun. It’ll stay cool and go a bit dormant.

Only water every couple weeks or so. It won’t need much water since it isn’t growing very much.

Maybe you don’t have a garage? Are you in an apartment? In that case I’m supposing you might have a balcony where the plant is now. I’d try hanging the suspension as close to the window/door as you can and wrap it in bubble wrap – leaving the side of the plant touching the house to share its warmth. The bubble wrap will be like adding insulation to your house with your plant in-between!

But if you can’t really move it, just wrap it in bubble wrap and check on the weather. When it gets below freezing, tie a water bottle with hot water (not boiling, more like a hot bath) and hang it inside the bubble wrap from the same hook your basket is in. It’s like a heated greenhouse! Replace the water in the bottle every day that it’s still cold.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)