Laburnum has stopped flowering

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cathtcrtcathtcrt
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have a Laburnum tree in my front garden, which was fully mature when I moved in 32 years ago. It has previously given a beautiful display of flowers, with just an occasional year off. However, this is the third year running that it is not going to flower. I am doing nothing different to with this area of the garden. It gets plenty of sun and is not waterlogged. I have never pruned it apart from chutting a few odd pieces that have been hanging too low down – maybe I should? Do they have a lifespan please?

racherache
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hey there. Laburnum doesn’t really need to be pruned unless you want to remove branches that are too low. Have you given it potash feed? It spends all its energy for a wonderful blooming season so it might be that it hasn’t recovered yet esp if there hasn’t been any feed provided. Other reason I could think of is that you might had frost just when the buds were forming and they were already damaged before they could bloom.

Laburnum life expectancy depends on the living conditions but it’s known generally that hybrid ones live shorter, from 25-30 years old. Some sources say up to 40.

cathtcrtcathtcrt
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thank you for that. I will try some potash feed. It has never had any extra feed in the 32 tears I’ve been here, but maybe as it is getting older it need some extra feed. I don’t know if it is a hybrid or not. I do hope it is not at the end of it’s life. It was fully mature when I came here so is at lest 34 years old, probably more. I would hate to lose it – it is the centrepiece of my front garden. How long can others (not hybrid) live to do you know please?

racherache
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hey again. Sorry to have missed your response. My fault, I’ve mistakenly turned off my email notifications.

I can imagine how much beauty it brings to your garden and I’d be so sad to lose it as well if I were in your case! I’m not really sure how long “not hybrids” live. I know what I have is a hybrid one and still quite young. However, someone I met few years back had one that was more than 50 years old and it wasn’t a hybrid.

Perhaps people from the local extension of the Office of Agriculture might be able to give you an answer, if no one else on this forum knows. Just a suggestion. Info on laburnum trees is limited on the internet. 🙁

racherache
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’ll also try asking in my local area. I’m also interested in knowing this.  🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)