Laurel trees hard to clear out

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    howies gardenHowie’s garden
    Greenhorn
    Private message

We have several laurel trees and so we wanted to clear our garden a bit. Last fall, we cut two laurel trees to the lowest level in the ground and since then there have been several healthy sprouts around what’s left of the trunks. Pulling them out from time to time isn’t making it die once and for all. They just keep producing new sprouts. What could we do? Any way we could finally kill the trunks?

vanjiVanji
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Pour half cup of vinegar on each trunk, repeat it twice a week until you see that there are no new sprouts anymore. It took me 2 weeks or so but that depends on the type of tree. mine wasn’t a laurel. bon courage

beekeeperbeekeeper
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I couldn’t agree more with Vanji and if I may add, you can also remove the remaining bark down in the soil. It’s the bark that keeps the trunks alive making new sprouts. Keep us posted if it works for you in the end. Godspeed!

paddygraypaddygray
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have a row of new  (last summer) planted laurel to make a hedge, approx 10 trees. Half are looking good with deep green leaves. The other half the leaves seem to be a light green in colour & most have developed some yellow leaves. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

beekeeperbeekeeper
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Would it be possible to get some pictures which include the soil? There could be several reasons why leaves turn yellow. Could be poor drainage and this is quite common. I’m not that expert on this topic but I’ve had the same experience with another type of tree.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)