Lonicera japonica in a planter 🤕

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    daviddavidiidaviddavidii
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have a relatively small area 2×3metres trellis on which to grow a 30ft Copper Beauty 😶 So how does that work then 🤔 Well my theory is that if  use a relatively small pot initially 14 litres it’s currently a new plant around 60 cm high in a 3 litre pot.

So it’s all about limiting in a pretty drastic way it’s growth. The following options have occurred to me. 1.Pruning early March if needed and again after flowering if needed. Using Coconut fibre only/ C. fibre and compost  50:50. Low Nitrogen tomato feed as pretty much it’s only source of nutrients. Keeping the roots restricted by reporting from its current 3 Litre pot ( it’s around 60cm high ) into a 14 litre pot at least for the first season although I do have a tall 20 litre pot.

Any thoughts..Other than plant a different species be appreciated. 🙂

luiLui
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Interesting idea, really. I’m thinking of one thing that can also slow it down: defoliate once or twice once it’s grown to cover the area. It’ll spend time making new leaves instead of creeping out of bounds. Bare for a short while but it should cover up nicely.

daviddavidiidaviddavidii
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks Lui. That’s a neat idea, think maybe part defoliation. Got to keep my neighbours as invisible as possible 😬 and that hopefully won’t impact on it’s flower bud development to much. Think I’m going to go with the 50% Compost/50% Coconut fibre in a 14 ltr pot initially start feeding with diluted 25-50% tomato feed  when it’s actively growing. 🙂

luiLui
    Greenhorn
    Private message

That sounds like the right way forward, David. You don’t want to feed it too much or you’ll get too much growth. Coconut fiber is great, you’ll have to add fresh fiber every year but that’s all and on top of that drainage is excellent. I think you won’t have any problems!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)