Looking for recommendations on bamboo variety

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    kellkell
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Bamboo’s a good addition to our 100m garden. What variety could you recommend?

dexm|Dex|M|
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Something small and that doesn’t spread. You’ll be quickly overrun if you don’t choose the right variety! Pleioblastus are nice, and they grow slow, too.

I like a Fargesia cultivar that might please you, the ‘rufa’ is tall enough to cover a fence but not much taller, and it’s a nice golden orange color.

dexm|Dex|M|
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I found a picture but it’s a bit grainy. Saw one at a bamboo garden but didn’t take a picture, this pic is nice though

fargesia

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hello Kell, look for phyllostachys. It’s a beautiful variety, you’ll see.  😉

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

kellkell
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Thanks for this, I can’t wait to check them!

nixontabisAnonymous
    Greenhorn
    Private message

There are so many fantastic varieties, each with unique characteristics. Before I dive into recommendations, I wanted to mention a resource I recently found super helpful – the MK Library’s guide to the Camphor Tree: https://www.mklibrary.com/camphor-tree/. While not bamboo, it offers some great tips on selecting the right plant for your climate and needs, which I found applicable.

Now, on to bamboo! For an eye-catching pop of color, consider the Black Bamboo. It thrives in most zones and adds a touch of drama to any garden. If you’re looking for a fast grower that can create a privacy screen in a flash, then Phyllostachys Bambusoides (Giant Timber Bamboo) might be your best bet. Just remember, this one is known to be a bit aggressive, so plan accordingly!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)