Lupine propagation attempts unsuccessful

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    steph-5ec3ac04bdaf3Steph
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’d been trying to propagate lupine which all three attempts ended up unsuccessful. Very frustrating. I took a clump from a mother plant my parents own in November and potted it. It had 2-3 leaves and remained in the nursery until transplanted in the ground early spring. Then it died. Second attempt in early spring. Another clump taken and potted. Got new leaves until it got rotten and died. Third attempt didn’t even have new leaves. Got sick with aphids and too late to save.

I feel like it’s so difficult to propagate lupines. They take so long to make and grow new leaves and very susceptible to rotting and diseases. I tried my best to water it moderately and avoid sitting water. Where did I go wrong? Timing or something I missed?

I was so disappointed that I ended up buying at a garden store to finally have lupines. Though, I still couldn’t move on and want to try again!

brendineBrendine
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Maybe soil was clay-ish and didn’t drain well? Was it placed in a warm spot?

jaminejamine
    Greenhorn
    Private message

It could be possible that the parent plant had been sick or unhealthy so what you took didn’t survive.

steph-5ec3ac04bdaf3Steph
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Steph, I just took soil from the garden. Maybe it was close to clayish but not sure. Not so knowledgeable about soil types. I was careful to put it in a luminous and warm spot inside my home.

Jamine, the clumps looked healthy to me unless there’s a sickness that’s not evident. The ones I got in early spring even got healthy new leaves.

tamvanTamVan
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello Steph! I”d say, the problem was the soil. Better use soil mix specifically for this purpose. If you’re still up for another try, check this video tutorial about lupine propagation. The steps are well presented. So fingers crossed for you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)