Mandevilla has sticky leaves Don’t know if this is a fungus

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Greenhorn
    Private message

How do I treat this so it doesn’t keep reoccurring?

nana11rondinana11rondi
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi Jeannie, I’d say its one of the following causes:

• bugs are colonizing the vine. For instance, spider mite is invisible to the naked eye but they spin tiny webs that cover leaves and make them sticky. Usually leaves start to lose their color.
    • Another type of bug is aphids. They drip a sticky, clear substance after feeding off the plant. Normally aphids are big enough to see without a magnifying glass.
    • A last type of bug is scale insects. They also poop lots of fluid when they go around.

That’s for the buggers. This site has lots of good tips to get rid of them.

Another set of causes are some type of infection that causes leaves to leak sap, like some type of gummosis or similar. May be fungus or bacterial. Hard to deal with this, but generally make the plant more “airy” so that moisture doesn’t gather and feed the culprit. Also, don’t water more than should be, soil should be on the dry side most of the time.

Last is the possibility of dew or guttation – the plant itself releases extra water because its roots are pumping up too much of it. Normally this washes off with rain, but maybe your plant is under a roof or an overhang? Or indoors?

What I would do now is the following:

• clean the plant by hosing it off (in a sink if houseplant)
    • monitor for yellowing leaves (in case of guttation, this won’t happen)
    • check for bugs with a magnifying glass
    • what would be great is to upload a few pictures here – do you think you could get a sharp shot?

That’s my own two cents. Hopefully someone else knows better

jacksnowdonjacksnowdon
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi there!

If you’re experiencing issues with sticky leaves on your mandevilla plant, it could be caused by a number of factors, including insect infestations or fungal infections. It’s important to identify the cause of the issue so that you can take the appropriate steps to address it.

One possibility is that your plant has an infestation of aphids or other sap-sucking insects. These pests secrete a sticky substance known as honeydew, which can coat the leaves of affected plants. If this is the case, you can try using insecticidal soap or neem oil to control the pests.

Another possibility is that your mandevilla plant has developed a fungal infection. Fungal infections can also cause a sticky residue to form on the leaves. To address this issue, it’s important to remove any affected leaves or stems and dispose of them in the trash. You can also try using a fungicide to treat the plant and prevent the infection from spreading.

To prevent future issues with sticky leaves, it’s important to practice good plant care. Make sure your plant is getting enough water and sunlight, and avoid over-fertilizing, which can attract pests and promote fungal growth. Regularly inspect your plant for any signs of disease or pest activity so that you can address issues early.

In addition to these tips, it’s always a good idea to do research and seek out gardening tips specific to your plant species. Different plants have different care requirements, so it’s important to understand the needs of your mandevilla plant to ensure it stays healthy and thrives.

I hope this information helps you identify and address the cause of the sticky leaves on your mandevilla plant. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)