New joiner.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jayne4bearsjayne4bears
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi all, I’m Jayne & live in South Wales, moved here 5 yrs ago from West Dorset. Not an expert but love the garden. Bought a polytunnel last year, so experimenting.

Does get very cold here in winter, today am temp -4 feeling like -7 so not always easy re growing………..

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Welcome to the Nature & Garden forum @jayne4bears! 🙂 Thank you for joining in.

A polytunnel is surely very useful prolonging planting and growing season. What plants have you got in there? Share your experiment results with us. Any smart tip you’d like to recommend?

Oh yes, it’s been really cold. Have you had snow lately?

Wishing you all the best for 2021!

Carol, forum moderator

“You got to be a gardener to appreciate dirty and muddy hands.”

lizzieolizzieo
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hello Carol and all the members of this garden forum. I joined a couple of days ago when I was online doing some Barbery medicinal research and this website popped up .. I live in rural British Columbia and love spending my retirement in my flower and vegi gardens

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

Hi @lizzieo! We’re glad to have you here. We hope the information of this website on barberry has helped you on your research. How’s weather over there?

We’d love to read more of your gardening tips! If it’s okay with you, share some of your garden photos here.  🙂

lizzieolizzieo
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’m not certain how to upload photos here??

it’s about -4 Celsius today with a 2 inch skiff of snow .. somewhat warmer and less snow then most years ..

I will be starting tomatoes in buckets in the house within the next month .. and am thinking of planting espalier apples along one of me 100 foot long fences

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

I’ll walk you through on uploading photos here through a private message.

Wow, hope you’ve got a fireplace. It’s always nice to watch wood burning with a coffee or tea in hand when snowing outside. You’ve got winter veggies growing?

I love tomatoes especially those cherry ones! And yes, espalier apples are great along fences and I saw some people even plant it as their fence!

luis_prluis_pr
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Picture/article on espalier apple tree fence (not too recent though, 2012 or 2013):

Espalier Apple Tree Fence

http://pragmaticsustainability.blogspot.com/2013/12/backyard-inspiration.html

CarolCarol
    Green Thumb (moderator)
    Private message

@luis_pr: Thanks for sharing. I love the photos on the second link! Really impressive especially the last one where the tree is as tall and wide as the house! I’ve never seen such.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)