Oregano growing in water and indoor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    helenhelen
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I’m originally from a tropical country and has just settled in Europe. I miss home so much so from time to time I buy cooking ingredients at an exotic store.

This week, I found oregano with mature stems so my question is can I let it grow in a flower base for example but just with water and have it thrive?!

greensoulgreensoul
    Expert gardener
    Private message

I have a friend who grows herbs from her country of origin. It has been her way of feeling home in a foreign land even after 30 long years. Oregano’s one of them. She has it in a transparent cylinder and only thrives with water. Just with the size of the leaves, one could say it’s healthy, at least what I had thought at the beginning until she told me healthy oregano had sage green or mint green leaves, not yellowish resulting from getting little light indoor.

In gardening, there’s always something you can’t control.  This makes the experience so humbling. 🙂

kamrun rubakamrun ruba
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Choose a healthy oregano stem with no signs of disease or damage. The stem should be about 4-6 inches long. Remove the lower leaves from the bottom 2 inches of the stem. This is where the roots will grow from.Place the cutting in a glass or jar filled with water. Make sure that only the stem is submerged in water, and the leaves are kept above water level. Growing plants in water requires more attention to cleanliness and changing the water regularly to prevent bacterial or fungal growth. Additionally, oregano prefers well-draining soil, so make sure not to overwater it once it’s transferred to soil.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)