Plantain tree with leaves separating from pseudo stem

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sajeevsajeev
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi.

I have a plantain tree which I obtained from a Nursery and it is about six months old now. It has been growing well. Over the last two weeks however, I have noticed that the stems of the leaves are separating from the main stem or pseudo stem. What could be the cause and how can this be prevented and treated. The pics show the tree today. ThanksPlantain tree with separating leaves

Pal PiaPal Pia
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Hi sajeev! Have you had strong winds in your location lately? I would blame it for that.

I don’t see any presence of pests so thats good!

PaoLaoPaoLao
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Sajeev,

It happened to my bananas as well. It didn’t affect productivity, did bear fruits on the contrary. The only problem was when the fruits get heavy, the pseudo stem wasn’t capable of keeping the weight which eventually resulted to bending. The plant then couldn’t support the growing fruits. The solution I had was to put a strong pole or tree branch to support the fruits. Fruits did continue growing.

I didn’t really know the cause. For this I’m sorry for not being of help on the prevention.

Fellow gardener,

Pao

sajeevsajeev
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Pao,

Thanks a lot for some encouragement. It will be a while before fruits develop so I shall keep an eye open for support requirements. There are some new suckers coming up, will be interesting to see if they have the same problem as the parent. The banana may not fall far from the tree!!

Sajeev

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)