Portuguese Laurel new leaves turning black and yellow

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Frank2b20Frank2b20
    Greenhorn
    Private message

I have a Portuguese Laurel and some of the new leaves showing are yellowing and turning black. Any idea?

fast driverFast Driver
    Expert gardener
    Private message

It seems to me that your shrub is sick. Are all parts of the yellow leaves turning black or they’ve only got black spots in the yellow area?

If you have a picture, don’t hesitate to attach it. It’ll help us here to get a better look.

jp-pjjp-pj
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Do the leaves look like this picture I found on the internet?

Frank2b20Frank2b20
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Portuguese Laurel

Frank2b20Frank2b20
    Greenhorn
    Private message

Above is a picture of the Laurel. Surrounding plants are in good health

fast driverFast Driver
    Expert gardener
    Private message

Hmm it does look like some kind of shotgun disease.  You can see where smaller holes appeared on some of the leaves. What I’d do is two things, first nourish and water the plant well enough to boost its immune system, maybe with some kind of fermented tea (I saw a page about that on this website lemme go find it here: https://www.nature-and-garden.com/gardening/types-of-weed-tea.html I think the horsetail tea is the best against fungus like that.

The second thing I’d do is prune off the tips that are infected. But do this carefully, lifting the branches out without letting them touch other branches much. Also dip your pruner in alcohol to kill bacteria between cuts. Put the clippings in a pail and either bag them up or burn them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)